Thursday, February 23, 2012

34 Week Stats

Baby Size: 4 pounds at least

Mama Size: Up 27 pounds. Waist still the same. According to my doctor, my fundal height has always been spot on but I know it's kind of a bogus measurement.

Symptoms: Braxton Hicks every night and possibly throughout the day--I usually can't ascertain between her stretching out and BH, but every once in a while my stomach gets unmistakably hard (like, my belly button pokes out). Oh and I peed my pants when I sneezed this week. My doctor told me that past 37 weeks, if I feel like my water has broken I can come in and get swabbed. In her words, "At that point of time, there's just stuff coming out all the time" and I nodded sagely. Peter would be so horrified at some of these discussions.

Other updates: Had my 34 week checkup and yay, she turned head down. Although she still hasn't dropped but maybe by my 36 checkup. I asked about my doctor's policy on inductions and I just meant after 41 weeks, but she told me that she'd be ok starting sweeps at 38 weeks and if I wanted, pitocin after 40. I don't want the pit but I was relieved to know that she was ok jump starting labor and that I wouldn't be pregnant until mid-April. I start to get cervical checks at 36 weeks and will start the weekly doctor visits at that time.
I'm excited and so ready to be done with gestating but this means we really need to finish the nursery, wash a few clothes, and maybe prep a few freezer meals. I've read that foods that can be eaten with one hand are even better so I'm not sure I'll make any dinners ahead of time. Sandwiches, fruit, veggies, hummus are things I eat anyways and most of the time sound so much more appealing than even lasagna or chili. And Peter is very adept at making dinner for himself, even if those dinners mostly involve meat and carbs.

Question of the week: So what did you do (or want to do) for meals after delivery? Is it really helpful to have meals prepped ahead of time?

4 comments:

  1. Yes! The week before, I froze leftovers from a few meals and I stocked up our pantry like crazy (I don't have any food storage usually, I'm a bad Mormon) so we wouldn't have to run out to get the basics like cereal and bread. With my mom and now my m-i-l here, they are cooking, which is nice, and the we'll get a few meals from the RS, which will be great. I wouldn't worry about the one handed thing. Just know that if you are nursing, you are going to need GOBS of food ALL the time. I had a serious blood sugar crash today and I am still recovering from it. Agg. So yeah, whatever it is you like to eat, have lots of it around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked anything. HAHA! Food was food! The one-handed thing is good for snacks, but I was the horrible Mom who didn't follow the rules. I'd prop the kids up on the arm of the sofa or on a pillow and relax with food, eating over them free-hand...that was when they were little before rolling over and grabbing my plates constantly (but odl enough that their necks weren't breaking). That was nice. When they were first born, I had cereal a lot or sandwiches in between nursing. And I kept ice water on hand at all times. I could be completely fine, but it was like the second they'd start nursing, I became horribly thirsty.

    I miss those days sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will want to try some Plan-Ahead freezer meals. Stuff you can just throw into the crockpot or oven. If you lived around here, I'd bring you dinner. :-) Zack did a lot of the cooking and going to Ardmore for fast food after we had Luke. Also, we had family making dinner for two weeks right after the birth. It is one of the things I think back on fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was all about the freezer meals, but then again, I am more of a meal-eater than a snacker/grazer. I kind of lived on chicken and rice casserole for a few months there!

    ReplyDelete