Thursday, February 9, 2012

32 Week Stats

Baby Size: Getting closer to 4 pounds
Mama Size: Definite growth spurt this week--up 24 pounds and a 38.5 inch waist. My doctor wants me to gain 35 total and while I balked at first, I am definitely well on my way there.
Symptoms: I think the baby turned head down but that only has intensified my peeing frequency. I am actually enjoying this part of pregnancy even with the aches and fatigue. My pelvis pain has left almost entirely (knock on wood) and Peter and I went on a 45 minute long walk this week. I almost cried with happiness because I could do it! I could walk and wasn't out of breath or in excruciating pain and had plenty of endurance. It felt so normal.
Other updates: I had my first baby shower this week, thrown by my coworkers and actually loved it. Mostly because it was a co-shower with another coworker and it never felt as if the spotlight was on me too long. I know I'm such an attention freak. Anyways it was very sweet and this baby will never run out of things to wear.
We finished our birthing class HOORAY! We practiced our breathing techniques and birth positions and a few scripts--visualizations that Peter will read to me between contractions.We have one more class at the hospital--a breast feeding one--in early March and then we won't go back until it's showtime.
Question of the week: What were some things that people usually don't gift you but that you needed for the baby? I'm thinking things like baby clippers, infant tylenol?, thermometers? So far we have tons of socks, infant mittens, sleepers, pjs, onesies, dresses, blankets, hats, and even shoes. Yes shoes. I am proud to say that besides white sleepers and two dresses, I have not bought her any of that. Anyways, we also have a crib, mattress, sheets, stroller, car seat, infant car seat insert, rocking chair, thousands of wipes, cloth diapers, baby shampoo......I know I need to also get a changing pad and bathtub and possibly a swing but I am really trying to hold off on buying anything non-necessary until after she gets here. I might break down and buy a sling so that Peter can watch her while playing on his computer :) Oh and I'm completely avoiding the whole feeding aspect of having a baby. I have a feeling that we'll be formula feeding her almost right from the get-go but if I buy bottles and formula now, it's like admitting defeat prematurely. Although ironically I'm also resistant to buying a boppy or a nursing pillow. It's like I'm blocking the fact that I'll have to feed her entirely.
Also what things do they give you in the hospital for the baby--pacifiers, aspirators? I keep almost buying them but there's no point if we get them already.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed the shower! I'm glad you are figuring out all of this stuff. I feel like I can call you and get all of the info I'll be needing in a couple of months! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are some things you'll need for you. Sorry this isn't the pretty stuff, but I'm so glad someone helped inform me about it before I had Katie! Stool softener (make sure they give it to you at the hospital right away after having your baby, but also have some at home for the first little while; this is very important), heavy-duty night-time quality sanitary pads, and extra pads for your bed (they sell these in the adult diaper section; you can get disposable, which are nice for obvious reasons, but are crinkly and loud, or a washable, reusable mini mattress pad type cover for your side of the bed).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes...STOOL SOFTENER AND PADS! Gah! I forgot BOTH times! My hospital let me take home the pad they put under me...it was reusable and I've used it for many other things as well (whenever the kids get sick, this goes under them incase they throw up, diaper changing pad for the bedroom on the bed, floor protector for Alli when she paints!) Seriously...lifesaver! Baby Tylenol, gas drops, nail clippers/files, saline nasal spray, aspirator (but got it at the hospital as well), rubbing alcohol and q-tips for the umbilical cord, and lanolin if breastfeeding can come in handy. I also took some ice packs home the hospital gave me for the pain of my tear. And? The little spray bottle to put warm water in and clean down below...HEAVEN! I just sterilized it daily and it was amazing. I used it for weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely stool softeners and pads. If your hospital is anything like Crestwood, the nice, NICE nurses gave me extra pads for the bed. You might want baby suppositories in case the little one becomes constipated. The aspirator was given to us as well as extra ice pads and the sitz bath spray bottle thingy. You will want to buy one or two preemie outfits just in case. Even though Luke was almost 8-pounds at birth, he was too little for NEWBORN clothing. Also, a lingerie bag for the little bitty baby socks. Possibly a bleach pen. Lantiseptic is the best rash cream EVER.

    ReplyDelete