Thursday, August 25, 2011

8 Weeks

Dear Baby,
I had my 8 week checkup with the doctor today which means I got to see and hear you again. Your heart was fluttering on the screen and you were moving around the slightest bit. The doctor kept gushing over how healthy and cute you are and I sheepishly had to ask her which end was your head. I can't wait to see you more clearly in another month.

I am having some vivid boy dreams but feel sometimes that you're a girl. 8 more weeks and we might get to find out. I admit that while I love dressing up little girls, boys usually make me laugh harder. It really is true--we just want a healthy 10-fingered, 10-toed baby.

I think about the things that I want to teach you. Things like selflessness, charity, love for the less fortunate. Things like how to get along with others and how to make friends. I want to teach you to listen to your conscience and how to figure out your own moral compass. And we know you wouldn't be your father (or grandfathers') child without a large dose of financial sense.

I know you will get a solid academic education and if you are anything like me, you'll be reading everything you can get your hands on. So, I don't worry about schooling. I find it immensely more important that you have a great character education. Because neither Daddy nor I can teach you everything about being good (after all, that would mean WE have it figured out), luckily there are tons of people who love you and can pick up our slack.

You have both sets of grandparents who will teach you a love of work and play and what it means to be loved to the point of spoilage. You have cousins who will no doubt lead you into semi-dangerous but exhilarating adventures. You have neighbors who will show you how to be good-hearted to everyone. You will meet friends and strangers and teachers and siblings (hopefully) and I think that's what it comes down to. Community. My mother's wish for you is to be surrounded by a community that is safe and loving. I hope you will have that.

Love love love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment