Thursday, November 3, 2011

18 Week Stats

Baby Size: Electric shaver!



Mama Size: Up 4 pounds from pre-preggo. A few days ago I had a more noticeable bump below my belly button, but it's slowly risen so that now my torso is just rounder overall.

Symptoms: A little heartburn every now and then. Huge decrease in appetite so I feel like I'm eating "normally" again. Neck and shoulder pain, probably due to increasing weight they're carrying. I also stare suspiciously at my ankles but I'm pretty sure they are the same as ever.

Other updates: I have a little chest cold that's no fun and work has been unrelenting lately so I haven't been able to use my obscene amount of sick days. We met with our doula last night! She was very nice and has 9 children--yikes! She really helped us clarify what we wanted from our birth--basically, as little intervention as possible, but I'm not one of those no-epidural people. I will take it if I can't handle it. She persuaded me to sign up for a childbirth class because apparently they fill up really fast so we'll start those in a few months. I also registered for a breastfeeding class in March. The nice part is that they are all given at my hospital so it will give me a chance to get to know the childbirth center there. Oh and I also remembered that my FSA will pay for a breast pump, but the problem is I'd rather rent a hospital grade one than buy a less powerful one. But if I have too much in my FSA account, I might just go ahead and buy one anyways. This one http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10812796 seems well reviewed.

Question of the week: What classes did you (or are going to) take before birth? Did they help?

4 comments:

  1. I have that pump and it is really good! Better than the one I had for Alli. Too bad you don't live closer...I'd let you have it (you'd just need to buy all the new tubing and such...not very pricy).

    I took a child birth class and it didn't do too much, honestly, except get me comfortable with the lactation consultant (who was the teacher). But that, in itself, was helpful1!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the same as you--I didn't want the epidural unless I really needed it. I did.

    I'm so excited for you, I can't stand it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought that pump! Emily, I think I want to be you. Seriously. I bought the same carseat as you. And now the same boob pump. Truthfully, it might just be that we are similar (and good) tastes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a pump very similar to that one. I bought mine used and got new tubes and everything for it. It worked really well.

    I took a childbirth class at the hospital. It was really helpful to know what we were up against. I was sure from the beginning that I was going to do an epidural. Once I got induced it was a must have.

    The childbirth class at the hospital had a breastfeeding component. I was pretty lucky that Abigail took to breastfeeding really well. The lactation consultant at the hospital was great as well. However, the nurses wanted me to supplement her for the first few days. So, make sure that you put your foot down on that.

    ReplyDelete